Indian Facts And Trivia
Bharat (Hindi), Republic of India (English)
3.3 million square kilometers
Lies between latitudes 8 ° 4' and 37 ° 6 ' north and longitudes
68 ° 7 ' and 97° 25' east
India is a tropical country varies from tropical monsoon in south to
temperate in north.
India has two National languages (Central administrative). They are English
(associate official) and Hindi (in the Devanagiri script). The Indian
Constitution also officially recognizes 22 regional languages.
Hinduism, Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, Sikhism, Jainism
Replica of the Lion Capital of Sarnath
The Indian time zone, Indian Standard Time (IST) is 5.5 hours (5 hours and
30 minutes) ahead of the Greenwich Mean Time (GMT).
Rupee (One Rupee=100 paise)
The character of cuisine in India is essentially regional. As a result, not
only dishes, but flavors, colors, methods of cooking, down to even the style
of cutting the vegetables prior to be cooked changes as often as the
» Costumes -
Diversity reflects not only the
culture of people, it also display in the colorful costumes they wear. The
ubiquitous sari is perhaps the most recognizable Indian garment of all. The
traditional dress of North Indian men, especially Muslims, is the sherwani.
South Indian men keep it simple- sporting a shirt with their sarong.
» Crafts of India -
Artifacts are very popular and
display creativity in its highest. Perpetual Indian artistic trail is
dribbling from region to sub-region developing its own genre and style.
Majestically carved furniture in Uttar Pradesh's Saharanpur and walnut
woodwork of Kashmir, exquisite Karnataka's fragrant sandalwood artifacts are
few to name.
» Buddhism -
Buddhism is most widespread religion
throughout Asia and along with Christianity and Islam, one of the three most
influential religions of the world. Buddhism originated in India. With so
many places to visit in India, Buddhist trail is one of favorite tour
amongst travelers. From Bodhgaya (Bihar) to extremes of Leh and Ladakh with
verdant monasteries, the religion seems enshrouds the whole map.
» Ayurveda -
Ayurveda is as old as Indian
civilization, the earliest school of medicine known to humans is one of the
fastest growing alternative medicine all over world.
- Yoga has its origins in India and has existed for over 5,000 years.
Yoga Ashrams in India is one of the most visiting places amongst
- Martial Arts were first created in India, and later spread to Asia by
- Most striking perhaps is the architectural heritage, Indian
architecture doesn't have any single representative style, still holds a
certain amount of continuity across history. The diversity of Indian
culture is represented in its architecture. Indian architecture
comprises of a blend of ancient and varied native traditions, with
building types, forms and technologies from West, Central Asia, and
- The World's First Granite Temple is the Brihadeswara Temple at
Tanjavur, Tamil Nadu. The shikhara of the temple is made from a single
80-tonne piece of granite.
- India is the largest democracy in the world, the7th largest
Country in the world, and one of the most ancient civilizations.
- India is a home of 27 UNESCO world heritage sites.
- The largest employer in the world is the Indian Railways, employing
over a million people.
- Chess was invented in India.
- India was one of the richest countries till the time of British rule
in the early 17th Century.
- In a year India India witness little less than thousand festivals!
Indian festivals gives a different looks to country , festivals are
the cultural culmination and brilliantly interwoven with everyone's life.
The glow of Diwali, the exhilaration of Durga Puja, the brilliant hues
of Holi everything is mind-boggling.
- India invented the Number System. Zero was invented by Aryabhatta.
- India is the largest English speaking nation in the world.
- India is blessed with rich biodiversity, having so many
natural forests and wildlife sanctuaries, Indian subcontinent harbors
impressive diversity of ecosystem.
- The World's first university was established in Takshashila in
- Laid-back on a country boat and wandering through Kerala
backwaters is one of the memorable experience one could have.
- India has the second largest pool of Scientists and Engineers in
- India is the only country other than US and Japan, to have built a
super computer indigenously.